Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Internet!!!


Okay, so I guess I've had the internet the whole time I've been in Verona... oops...

Imagine this:

I now live in an apartment with due rooms (2 rooms) and due banos (2 bathrooms). It is abosultely gorgeous in Italy, with three-four story buildings and many many flowers. It is hard not to talk in a pretend accent and the ice cream (gelato) is to die for.

a view from my window (it's better in person!)


The other night we went out to dinner with Claudio and his girlfriend. She speaks Spanish and I actually was able to translate and talk to her. But the real story lies somewhere else - in the FOOD. So many people probably think of Italy as PASTA PASTA PASTA. Yes, the pasta is everywhere and it is good. But what about HORSE? That's right. I ate horse... I did know it was horse, and even though it would never ever be my first choice I gave it a shot. It was O.K. I was not impressed and I will not order caballo again. However, I will now give veal much more credit (as I will lamb as well ---- okay, Dustin. I will eat at Gyros with you when I return). Nonetheless, it was an interesting night filled with many different kinds of meat and food (except pasta whihc we only had two kinds of).

After the many meats, we all went out for drinks. The bar was something you would imagine to see on E or in a magazine. Blacklights, colorful backgrouds, lit bars... it was incredible - as were the prices of drinks. While waiting in line, one noticed a man holding quite the fruity looking drink ... who would have known the name was as difficult as caiprosca alla frogola? But it was (basically something with strawberries - i think Vodka, as I saw the bartender pour much vodka.). I decided this sounded -- actually looked --- good and ordered it for Stef and I. As I stood at the bar I watched as the drink was made and the bartender took a blue bottle from the shelf --- SKYY Vodka. He started to pour... he looked away.... he talked ... he stopped pouring 3-4 shots later. He shook this with FRESH strawberries and crushed ice and away I drank. It was good, but a bit too much vodka. Soon after drinking Stef and I made a comment about the lack of hissing from local Italian men, to which Scott replied, "I could kick all the Italians' asses if they hissed at you." ... Yay, we have our token man!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home