Saturday, June 03, 2006

Caffes and Cappucinos

Sipping cappucino and sitting in an internet cafe, that is what I am doing right now! I know ... poor me.

We have been in Austria this weekend, and unfortunately return to Italy tomorrow. Not that Italy is horrible, but Austria is great --- not to mention we have AMAZING beds at our hotel! So we spent Friday in Salzburg ... Friday afternoon that is. And as I will mention again below the weather sucked! But we trekked through the rain and cold and managed to visit very beautiful sites. While I couldn't be pictured in front of many of these, I was able to capture some lovely shots of Stefanie and Scott in front of the Pegasus fountain and walking through the Maribelle Gardens! (Okay! And I may have taken a picture of myself too --- happy Dustin??? It's bad!)


Unfortunately (purtroppo), it has been awful weather here however. It has been rainy and cold and I was not the best packer for such awful weather! I had only flip flops and almost lost my toes yesterday in the pouring rain and coldness that engulfed us. But today, after our train arrived in Linz, I found a store with an amazing sale ... shoes for only seven euros! Yes, people ... I can shop! So I covered my feet and to the concentration camp we headed...

There are no words to describe what we saw today. The most overwhelming and atrocious site was that of the crematorium. You read the stories, you hear the horrors, you watch the movies.

But you never never really start to get it until you see it. We walked through the camp in silence ... only talking to find out when we were leaving 3 hours later. This will probably be the most moving experience for me in all of my eight weeks in Europe.

AFTER however! We missed our bus, 21 km from the train station!!! We started to walk, but realized that we would soon be walking on a high way --- bad idea. We turned around and headed for the large "I" for information. Could not find the I and instead called a cab... ugh. Too much money but it was necessary!

And now I am sitting here... drinking my cappucino and writing yet another story of my long excursion. I cannot wait to be home, but at home I would not have experienced what I have thus far. I still have a lot of time and I will still have many stories!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home