Friday, June 30, 2006

Oh Paris...

I am now a savvy Metro rider ... thank you Paris. This is really the only way to travel around Paris and I loved every second of it. The crowds, the smelly people, and the fact I spent 20 Euros. But oh well, I was able to see some impressive art!

We first got into Paris at 4pm. This didn't leave much time for sightseeing, so we met up with the other 2 in our party and headed for the Eiffel Tower (later to be shortened to simply "The Eiff"). Here we climbed 668 steps to the second part of the Tower. I took more pictures than would ever be necessary and enjoyed every second of it. We then headed up to the top by elevator. The view was incredible, and the cool breeze was a nice addition.

We soon headed back to the hostel, ALOHA, and I met my roommates. Seeing as how I booked my room after everyone else on our trip, I had a room with strangers. Here I met a Quebec guy, who I called "Quebec" for the rest of the trip. I also met a couple from Austrailia. I felt bad for them. Their team lost in the World Cup. Poor Austrailians.

The second day was amazing ... we went to the Louvre! It was INCREDIBLE. Words cannot describe the feelings I had as we wandered through this expansive building. We saw lost worlds of Mesopotamia and Egypt. We ventured into Greece. And of course, we furthered our knowledge of Italian Art by visiting paintings done by the great Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Caravaggio, and many more. Even though the day was rainy and cold, I felt a sense of warmth as I listened to the audio guide man tell me all about the Mona Lisa, Madonna of the Rocks, and the Death of Mary. After Louvre, we decided to head over to Museè D'Orsay. This is an impressionist museum and as equally amazing as the Louvre. I saw works by Van Gogh, Picasso, and Monet. Spectacular.

The third day meant MORE museums! We visited Notre Dame and climbed to the top. The gargoyles were my favorite! They creepily stared out at the city while angels stood behind. The gothic work in France is just incredible. I have expected the Hunchback to jump out at any second and say "Buongiour!" (that is spelled wrong most likely as I did not learn French but Italian!)

We then headed over to the Modern Art museum. For those at Zara's Collision reading this, did you know you see art everyday? I bet not, but the smashed up and totaled car here in France was art. I will show you upon my return! After we left this weird, and yet interesting, place we headed over to see the works of Picasso. I have seen better art by some of the 5 year olds I have taught. But nonetheless, it was Picasso. We saw a guitar made from cardboard, string, tape, and traces of crayon ... hmmm... art? But his paintings were indeed interesting and I thouroughly enjoyed imitating the art and trying to do the poses Picasso so oddly painted.

Paris was by far a good time, but not my favorite. The crèpes were great, especially the banana and nutella mixture! The sugar crèpes were also good, as I tried this while sitting by a pond at the castle in Versailles. A fish tried to eat Megan's toe, but we had fun.

Amazing though, people were starving in Paris when Louis XIV was building this massive home and summer getaway. I hung out with Louis for a bit while visiting, but I did not ask him how he felt about this . . .

We wore jeans and hoodies the whole time in Paris. It was nice. We arrived back in Verona at 3AM. It was hot. Greece will not be cool.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home