Monday, June 12, 2006

There will be pictures posted soon ... but for now:
This weekend was spent at Cheese Mountain (Montagna di Formaggio). But you won't find that name on any Italian map because it is really known as Asiago. It was a small town in the plateau of the mountain to which we went to. We saw the process of cheese making and got to smell all the wonderful (absolutely awful) smells that come along with the process. As much as I love cheese, this was a disgusting and stinky part of the trip. Not to mention, the only thing we ate at meals was CHEESE. I've had enough cheese to last me through the summer!
But more than cheese, we also went for a walk into Asiago, where we spent time at a market. I did not buy anything at this market, as it seemed a little sketchy to me! It wasn't that bad, but I really couldn't find anything I really wanted! After that, horseback riding was offered for a small fee. But, me being the baby I am, I decided not to go. I don't really care for horses or having an animal guide me through the mountains of Italy. I've ridden horses at home as well, and I do not really find it that enjoyable. So I chose to cuddle up in my bed and read a nice long book --- Deception Point by Dan Brown. I finished it, and I must say .... if you like Dan Brown, read this book!
We also went to a bar with the program director, Claudio. It was close to our hotel so we walked. When we got there, we split a fire hydrant of beer between 5 of us. It was a good time and we listened to live music --- American music. It was AMAZING! We soon went home however, and fell asleep in our hotel beds. These were not any better than my cement hard bed at my Verona apartment, but it was still nice to cuddle up under the blankets.
Sunday was a great day as well, with a trip to Bossano to look at an old bridge made by one man named Andrea Palladio. I know much about this man because of the wonderous art history class headed by andother Andrea! (this is a man's name pronounced On-dray-a). We also went to a grappa ( a very strong italian alcohol) distellery and learned all about the the process of making grappa. After a long night of drinking with Claudio the night before, this was an unwelcome-hangover ridden adventure for me. But! I made it through and we continued onward!
The ride home was long and boring, but we arrived to warm Verona after a chilly weekend in the cheesy mountains! This is when I made a new friend! I don't know his name, but he is the second cutest kitten in the world! Tiny, orange, and fluffy, I held the kitten all night as it fell asleep in my lap while we watched "The Interpreter." One of our greatest finds has been the local blockbuster, where movies ARE in English and I DID bring my DVD-capable computer! We love movies and its a great way to pass the time.
With a test coming up this Friday, however, movies will not be in abundance this week. But Italian is almost over and I cannot wait to rid of it. Rita, our teacher, is great ... but I would like to focus more time on travelling! As a matter fact, next Monday will bring the first trip to Rome (I will be making two!) I will make sure to post plenty afterwards so you can learn all about the great city of Roma!
On that, I must leave you my amici! I hope you all still love reading my long, boring posts! Keep commenting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home